Thursday, 8 May 2008
Dear Diary...

My head is spinning at the moment and here I am at my class' blog. I've got inspired by a fellow teacher for this post so here am I - delirious but I think this keeps me from being guarded but will simply type as my thoughts flow. So here goes...
It's going to be their last paper for Prelim I tomorrow. It has been about 5 months since I got to be their FT. I remember the first day when I stepped into class - it was so familiar, yet so awkward. They warm up really fast - sweetest of students all placed in a pretty classroom. Oh and yes, all girls but 6 "macho" men!
There is no time to be lost - I want to know them, to befriend them, and help them along...whatever that means, whatever that entails...as they start towards their O levels. Hence began the process of what it means to be a graduating class' form teacher - as I asked around and observed the senior teachers around me.
Ah - STI, that is a good start.
Lots of ideas, but have to keep them practical.
Oh dear, these kids can get really carried away sometimes - with all the fun. Quick! Remind them - get ready for Os!
But then again - their funloving nature makes lessons oh-so-lovely all the time.
STUDY people... SIT properly... class photos... LEEHOM... XIAOZHU... DAVID TAO... manga... PSP... all those prefects... all these high-position kids in the class... events... the FRCs...etc...
Time flies. That has been these 5 months...and much more.
Are they feeling okay? Are they coping well?
There is a little awkwardness sometimes. Is the blog working?
Ah, as long as 1 person is lifted - it'll be worth it.
Let each of them make it for Os - none to be left behind.
As I watched them prepare for their prelims - my heart skips a beat whenever their faces fall, whenever they say "die lah...sure die." Oh dear, is it?
During inviligations...
Okay, walk quietly.
Okay, they are writing - furiously.
Okay, a possible head drooping - my heart falls.
Okay, these girls must SIT properly - AHHHHH
Okay, good - they seemed engaged with the paper.
Okay, doesn't look good - last minute studying? did they give up? are they okay?
Nevermind, as long as they tried their best.
Did they procrastinate? Anyway everyone does all the time - it's like a bug. Why do we procrastinate? Experts say it's because we find the tasks at hand too difficult - so we feel inept to deal with them - and thus putting it off.
Yet - putting things off won't push the problems away. They'll not disappear. Face it - and try. It's going to be an uphill task - but that is the only way.
When we've fallen to the bottom-est of pits - there is no other way but to go UP!
Prelims 1: two way approach.
(1) Excuse me, this is already Prelim I! HELLO?!
(2) Well, thankfully it's only Prelim I. I hope this will be a wakeup call before it's too late. Time to start the engine going - yes going - for Prelim II.
I'll go for the latter.
Okay, I think my headache is catching up. It's been loads of marking for all the teachers - and it can be an emotional experience reading and marking the students' work. A thousand and one thoughts run through my mind each time as I keep focus...
My thoughts are rambling.
Focus. Miss Chan. Focus.
Right - so it's going to be another 5 months to Os.
Is life only about studying? Well, it isn't. But life is also not devoid of learning. Excuse me, is it terrible to be seen or known as studying? It isn't GEEKISH! It can be fun - the discovery of interesting ideas, facts, thinking...and all put together.
In short - studying is cool.
Yes, say it with me.
Studying is cool! :D
Okay, academics aside, the next 5 months will also be about character growth. How well they can deal with stress, the sense of maturity, the forging of deeper friendships, the discovery and love for self...and much more.
That should be enough for now...till the next diary entry.
FT
10:02 pm
We're going bananas <3
0 Comments(s), Leave a comment?